This is one of the ultimate Trini appetizers or snacks. It’s another recipe with a strong Asian influence, but as always we put our own Trini kick to it. It can also be made with chicken or veggies.
Here’s how I make mine.
- 1lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 lemon
- wanton wrappers
- 1 cup of green seasoning
- soy sauce
- black pepper
- sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ginger
- salt to taste
For the dipping sauce
- soy sauce
- horse radish sauce
- pepper sauce
- green seasoning
- Wash shrimp well with half of the lemon. Chop in the food processor until it forms a paste.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to the paste and mix well.
- Add grated ginger, 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp soy sauce, freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 3/4 of the green seasoning mixture. Mix well.
- Put a pot half-filled with oil on medium-low heat and let it heat up while you fill your wanton wrappers.
- Add about 1 tsp of the filling to a wanton wrapper. Add a little dab of water to the edges and fold into a triangle, sealing the edges. Hold the 2 pointed edges and stick together with a little water.
- When your oil is heated, add the wantons to the pot and let it fry for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Add 1 tbsp of ketchup to the reserved green seasoning.
- Add 1 tsp of horse radish paste, about 2 tsps of hot water and mix well. Add a dash of soy sauce, 1/2 tsp of white sugar, 1 tsp of mustard and salt to taste. You can also add some pepper sauce for more kick.
Check out my video on how to make this: